6/23/10

Candied Bacon Whiskey Ice Cream

For my first-ever batch of ice cream, taking advantage of my housemate's recent acquisition of an ice cream maker attachment for her standing mixer, I wanted to stick to the basics. So I went to David Lebovitz, where I found a very simple recipe that would be perfect for an upcoming birthday party I was attending. The birthday boy's favorite drink? Whiskey. Favorite food? Bacon. The ice cream recipe? Candied Bacon Ice Cream.

The background for the candied bacon was an egg-y cream, flavored with whiskey and a bit of cinnamon. I made the same ice cream with chocolate chips too - it's a good base, but also interesting enough to stand on its own.




The bacon was local - from Cafe Estelle's chef, by way of the Green Aisle Grocery - and after over-cooking the first batch a little, I managed to get a clear, smooth, glistening sugar coat on the second. Just bacon and brown sugar and a few minutes in the toaster oven, and sweet, salty, greasy goodness appeared. 

After that, everything just went into the ice cream maker, and then on into the freezer. And while I don't have any pretty pictures of the final product, I will assure you that while people tasted it for the novelty, they stuck around for the delicious. Because it actually was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers