9/13/10

Ruby Eats Real


Finally, as if you've all been waiting for it, my LONG overdue post about the most amazing food festival of the everything: Eat Real. All the commentary is going to boil down to "here are the amazing things I saw and ate."



(c) Eat Real and/or Robyn Johnson 2009
(c) Eat Real and/or Robyn Johnson 2009
This was the second annual Eat Real Festival, which is held in Oakland and is an offshoot of the Slow Food movement that focuses on local, sustainable street food. My lovely, talented, workaholic friend Robyn is one of the people whose sweat, blood, and tears goes into making it a reality, so I get an insider's perspective on the whole ordeal, minus the insider's stress and hard work. Last summer I was able to tag along on several expeditions to seek out delicious street food, justifying my presence by being willing to have photographs of me posted on Eat Real's site as a model consumer. I'm generous like that. And, um, one of the events required mustaches. First time in the Mission when the hombres didn't hit on us, but the dykes did. And that one drunk guy, who was all "nice beard!"


Anyway, this time around, I wasn't in California to take advantage of the fun food adventures (although I got lots of texts about them – a not-so-subtle ruse to convince me to move back), I did "help" by tweeting the event, averaging about one tweet every hour, when I stopped eating and remembered my job. So I'll put those in this post, so you can get an idea how big a slacker I was being. Also I managed to used the wrong tag for most of the time. Sorry, Robyn.


So mostly I was stuffing my face and wandering around with all the lovely people who showed up for the beautiful weather, exhibitions, and delicious food.


And beer.
Get ready Oakland, it's the last day of #erf2010 and word is there's still some beer left from yesterday. Help us drink all those taps dry!


The happiest dogs are the ones hanging out near the Eat Real Ranch. they just love learning about urban goat farming! #erf2010

There was a moment of calm and linelessness up by the Creme Brulee Cart and Raw Daddy Foods. An oddly successful combination! #erf2010





Just learned that the massive pans used by Gerard's Paella are called paella - that's where the name comes from! #erf2010




"hey hon, i just got to Eat Real."
"oh! great! where are you? I'll come find you!"
"actually, all I want to know is the way to the paella tent."









The lunch lines have formed, but they're moving quickly and there's so many fantastic choices! Eat well and keep it Real! #erfest2010












Most of the goats are in the pen, but one just tried to join the throngs of Eat Realers. He just wants some tacos! #erf2010


Stand in the very short beer line and listen to Carne Cruda wax poetic on Oakland's tightness. #erfest2010





























On red pork: "For some reason America decided to like its pork white. Probably around the same time it started to like suburbs." #erf2010

 
Pig butchers share a jar of moonshine before the competition! #erf2010



 











 "Anytime someone's using a ham, I am a happy man." -Max Stepanian, pig butchery judge. #erf2010
 
(Max is the guy on the right, with the thick curly hair pumping his fist at the sight of the big piece of pork.)



 That's Dave the Butcher, with my new favorite kitchen utensil – the meat saw. Once the pig butchery contest was over, the butchers carried the pork belly to another stage and taught everyone how to make bacon. Except that they'd already had some moonshine at the beginning of the butchery segment, and they were drinking beer during the presentation, so by the end, all the bacon-making directions were rather vague and tangential. Which only made the entire thing better, really.



"Bacon fat is not bad for you...I don't think." -Dave the Butcher #erf2010 Sun Aug 29 19:31:53 2010 via mobile web

Eat Real's main stage mascot – a stuffed chicken.

And that was Eat Real 2010. I'll be back next year. And maybe before then.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! It looks like you had a wonderful eating vacation in Oakland.

    ReplyDelete

Followers