1/26/11

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the yolk flows.


I'm sort of a sucker for runny egg yolk, and I've been getting into soups and stews a lot lately, probably because it's alternating snow, sleet, and rain outside. Combined with the ease and longevity of beans (a relationship that may have originated with my parents who, out of the blue, once told me that they were going to go an entire week without eating beans, just to see if they could.), this recipe from Smitten Kitchen seemed like the perfect response to the inappropriate weather we've been getting. I messed with it a little bit, but the gist is still the same:


vegetable stock














red and white swiss chard


 sautéd carrots, celery, and shallots
(a combination that offends my color sensibilities somewhat- sorry for all the ugly)

 tomato purée

with a healthy dose of white beans
 












 
and topped with a poached egg.
(my very first! I'd never taken the time before.)

 


This is probably going to become something of a staple through these nasty winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers